Friday, August 21, 2009

Persona

I remember your face from that time
When mom told you to read me a bedtime story.

You came into my room
And took out Homer fearlessly
From the darkness of my bookshelf,
I wondered if you even cared that

I was scared.

But then, you sat next to me
And I saw
How different your face was from my impression.

You opened the book, and I was mesmerized
By the wrinkles that folded along your face,
Sketching your visage
Like the front cover of a used paperback novel-
Dried and discolored,
But you didn’t notice and
Continued flipping through the pages.

When you read
Your voice chilled me like the blank of your eyes,
Unmoving, I couldn’t see my reflection in them;
I wonder if you saw me

When you read about Odysseus’s reunion with Telemachus,
I hoped to see you smile
But no, you were afraid to crack the cement of your face,

And when you read about Priam’s plea
I wished for you to cry,
Because I wanted to ask you

Dad,

If your tears are salty, like mine.

1 comment: