Monday, October 1, 2018

Radio Silence (Father)


I want to write a song with you,
but it’s been over twenty years
since we’ve even had a meal,
or been to the cinema together.
Twenty years since I’ve wondered
what your face looks like if it smiled,
if only you did, then maybe
I wouldn’t be here looking for words
a whole ocean away,
while you’re there looking
at the keyboard on your cellphone,
wondering if it’s really technology
that’s made it so hard to write your son,
in that second floor apartment
I’ve only been to a couple of times—
the stairs must kill your back now,
but I’d never know,
your face never tells any stories,
or jokes, or words. There’s no lyrics
between us, no nostalgia
we could hum to,
just a silent chat screen we both stare at,
every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment