Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Sofa



It has to be a sofa,
no guestrooms or blow up mattresses,
and preferably canvas
with lots of cushions and a throw
that can easily turn into a blanket
for those 3am nights.

It also need stains—
chocolate pressed by a lover’s body,
blood from an embarrassed friend,
biriyani from a drunken hookup;
a loved furniture, if you may.

I want to add my own stain onto your sofa,
maybe wine, or the tears
that inevitably run
for our first hello’s, and our last goodbye’s.

I want to leave something there, permanent,
as if to say I’m sorry for being absent, sorry
for missing the nights you had to fall
asleep on your own on this sofa covering it in
solitary sweat and tears,
when I should have been there
as a reason, a reminder
that you have a bed to sleep on, to love on.

It has to be a sofa,
something about the way it allows me to sink in
with just enough resistance lets me know
I am loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment