Überraschung
Waking up in your hotel bed
I can only think of those cigarettes
left on the nightstand
we thought we'd smoke the night before.
Somehow that is salient,
that is symbolic
of perhaps the toxicity of love that has
too quickly spread through my blood stream,
or the sex that we never had.
Pfirsich
I’ve heard that being told
“I love you” in German sounds like
a punch in the face; I wouldn’t know,
you would only say it to me in English
and it was soft, and beautiful,
just like your air that I miss,
your carbon dioxide
and cigarette smoke hitting my face,
gentle only because you were simply
too afraid to get close,
too afraid of how easily
I’d bruise.
Verlegen
For Facebook
I chose a picture of our shadows,
taken at broad daylight clearly
showing the two of our bodies
next to each other, not surreptitious
yet proudly anonymous. Two dark shadows
existing against one another
because that was the only way it was okay
to be blatant, to be evident, to be tangible.
We are defined as faceless
and strangely tall, yet ironically
both unafraid and scared to death, to love.

No comments:
Post a Comment